Sunday 16 March 2014

The Great Game Pt 2

Well it's over a week late but here it is anyway. On the 7th (which was my birthday by the way) I went back to see the #WS10 warmongers for an evening of fun and warmongering. Now last time I posted about these guys I realise I forgot to say who they are so here is the list;
Nathan (@NinjaNathUK)
Adam (@geekphotoguy) who took all the photos you'll see in this post
Pete (@Petehumpage) who is also the host of the war council lol
Nigel (@NigelSBartlett)
Stuart (@CaptainHelvetos)
Graham (@wilsongrahams)
Nick (@Slaaneshfiend) The man that introduced me to the rest of the guys
Mark aka Sponge (@79sponge)



Last time I played it was a 700 point game against Stuart and his Imperial Guard which if you've read my previous Great Game post then you'll see the result of that and just how much the Chaos Gods favoured my forces in that game (I made some statistic breaking save rolls lol). For my second ever game I played 1500pts against Nigel and his Eldar Corsairs. Now I know absolutely nothing about Eldar anyway except that the army is supposed to be a glass cannon army (strong but fragile) so I asked for help which came from Adam. To be fair he gave me some fantastic advice and helped me write a list that I was really pleased with and happy to play and he also directed me towards starting a Screamer Council which sounds like an awesomely powerful combination of units. 


I had a mixed force of Daemons and Chaos Space Marines (pretty much just so I could take the Heldrake really but more on that later) and contrary to what the podcasts and YouTube videos suggested I took Daemons as the primary detachment so I could use the Warp Storm table. I don't really understand why that table earned so much hatred because I love it! It has a 1 in 3 chance of bringing up a really powerful weapon and a 1 in 3 chance of doing something good for the daemons. Granted there are also some bad things in there but that's Chaos for you so I can take it in my stride. When considering Daemons many are put off by that small chance of something bad but the Warp Storm adds some significant ranged damage dealing potential and it's something I have used to great effect in both of my battles so far. 

My list for this fight was:
Chaos Daemons (Primary Detachment) 
+ HQ + (380pts)
  * Daemonic Heralds (120pts) 
      * Herald of Tzeentch (120pts) 
          (Change Discipline, Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike, Independent Character)
          Disc of Tzeentch (25pts), Exalted Locus of Conjuration (25pts) (*), Psyker Level 2 (25pts)
          * Daemon of Tzeentch
              (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
              Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
  * Lord of Change (260pts) 
      (Change Discipline, Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike)
      D6 Exalted Daemonic Reward (30pts) (Exalted Rewards, Hellforged Artefacts), Psyker Level 2
      * Daemon of Tzeentch
          (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
+ Elites + (138pts)
  * Flamers of Tzeentch (138pts) 
      (Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike, Warpflame)
      6x Flamers (138pts)
      * Daemon of Tzeentch
          (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
+ Troops + (270pts)
* Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (90pts) 
      (Blue Horrors, Brotherhood of Sorcerers, Change Discipline, Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike, Magic Made Manifest)
      10x Pink Horrors (90pts)
      * Daemon of Tzeentch
          (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
  * Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (90pts) 
      (Blue Horrors, Brotherhood of Sorcerers, Change Discipline, Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike, Magic Made Manifest)
      10x Pink Horrors (90pts)
      * Daemon of Tzeentch
          (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
  * Plaguebearers of Nurgle (90pts) 
      (Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike)
      10x Plaguebearers (90pts)
      * Daemon of Nurgle
          (Hatred (Daemon of Tzeencth), Shrouded, Slow & Purposeful)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
+ Fast Attack + (150pts)
  * Screamers of Tzeentch (150pts) 
      (Daemonic Instability, Deep Strike, Lamprey's Bite, Slashing Attack)
      6x Screamers (150pts)
      * Daemon of Tzeentch
          (Hatred (Daemon of Nurgle), Re-roll all Saving throws results of 1, Tzeentch Psyker Powers)
          Daemon (5+ Invulnerable Save, Fear)
Fortifications (Fortification) Selections:
+ Fortification + (95pts)
* Imperial Bastion (95pts) 
      Comms relay (20pts), 4x Heavy Bolters
Chaos Space Marines (Allied Detachment) Selections:
+ HQ + (105pts)
  * Chaos Lord (105pts) 
      (Champion of Chaos, Fearless, Independent Character)
      * Power Armour (40pts) 
          Burning Brand of Skalanthrax (30pts), Combi-flamer/-melta/-plasma (10pts)
+ Troops + (190pts)
* Chaos Space Marines (115pts) 
      4x Chaos Space Marine (52pts), Flamer (5pts)
      * Aspiring Champion (23pts) 
          (Champion of Chaos)
          Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Close Combat Weapon
      * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
          (Repair)
          Combi-bolter, Searchlight, Smoke launchers
  * Chaos Space Marines (75pts) 
      4x Chaos Space Marine (52pts)
      * Aspiring Champion (23pts) 
          (Champion of Chaos)
          Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Close Combat Weapon
+ Fast Attack + (170pts)
 * Heldrake (170pts) 
      (Daemon, Daemonforge, It Will Not Die, Meteroric Descent)
      Baleflamer


Nigel deployed first and I tried to deploy in a way that would allow me to hit hard but I didn't factor in not getting to go first and that was my first mistake of many. My second mistake is that I deployed my mini-Council out in the open. The idea was that they could move, the Herald could shoot with Flickering Fire and then charge whatever was left but again this was a huge mistake. Nigel got first turn and, being a far more advanced player than I am, aimed straight for the Screamers and wiped the entire unit out in one go. I figured that I could recover from that though as he had exhausted his firepower on that single unit which left my other units untouched and that thought was my second mistake as he had LOS to my Rhino as well and with a lucky penetrating hit he blew it up (waste of a Dirge Caster really) so my five CSM had to go it on foot. He then called down an orbital strike which only did one wound to my sorcerer despite having the rest of my army in range so that was quite lucky. In my first turn my unit of horrors (inside the bastion) sought revenge for their fallen Herald but Nigel was able to Deny the Witch, my second unit of horrors was not in range, my Flamers jumped forwards to what I thought was good cover (yet another mistake I made) and my sorcerer used the Burning Brand on some jet ones and took out a couple which was pretty cool. My CSM from the rhino opened fire on them too but a bad bout of rolling left me only able to take out one. Nothing was in combat range at this point so there was no assaulting.


In the second round the reserves came in and Nigel brought yet more firepower onto the battlefield in the form of a flier and some ridiculously long ranged guns as well as a unit that can move in the movement phase and then move again when everything is said and done!! Mental!! Useful for him but mental. Once again he opened fire and he reduced my model count even further by killing my sorcerer, taking out some horrors and a few Flamers. He then charged my unit of CSM and killed one with Hammer of Wrath. In my turn I tried to bring in reinforcements with my Lord of Change, my Heldrake and Plaguebearers which were intended to sneak in on the back field and just hold an objective. The Lord of Change came in on target behind my Bastion so it was safe from all fire in that round while I tried to line up my Heldrake to vector strike a huge blob of infantry. Had I factored in Nigel's two vehicles with Interceptor then things may have gone better but I didn't and in using them both on the Heldrake it was blown up the second it came onto the field. The Plaguebearers suffered a similar fate but that was turn three. My fortunes didn't change even when a particularly nasty wave of the Warp Storm brought in Father Nurgle's Rot, Glorious Rot result which did a decent chunk of damage to Nigel's forces. The jet bikes eventually killed my CSM and then the Flamers before they moved down to eradicate my Cultists that had just quietly sat on an objective the entire game. To their credit they survived longer than I expected them to and they even took down a couple of jet bikes with their flamer (apparently templates=death for Eldar) 



The game ended in turn three with Nigel having successfully wiped my army from the table while sustaining minimal casualties to his own which was a result for him. What this taught me though is that I need to think a lot more before I take a course of action. For instance if I had played a little safer with the Heldrake then it would have survived a round of interceptor and would have been untouchable from then on. If I had done the same with the Mini-Council then they might have been able to move before they were obliterated. It might take me a little longer to finish a turn but by planning and strategising beyond the building of the list I might have actually stood a chance but as it was I was reckless and I made it all too easy for Nigel to pick my units off with ease.

On the plus side though I once again showed just how good the Warp Storm table is as it was able to do a decent amount of damage in one go. Nigel had one particularly nasty Psyker in a unit and I was really hoping to roll for Daemonic Possession, place a Herald of Khorne right in the middle of the unit and watch it tear them apart but it wasn't to be. I think if I had rolled for the improved Invulnerable save earlier in the game I might have survived past round three but that was the luck of the draw this time.

Overall I still really enjoyed the game even if I lost because at least I lost spectacularly :p I just need to be a bit more careful with what I do and how I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...