Tuesday 18 August 2015

The Great Awakening (again!)

Following from my previous post I was chatting to a friend of mine (who is also a commission painter) about my chosen Necron colour scheme and he suggested one last highlight on the blue to just make it pop. Never one to turn down painting tips I gave it a go less than 10 minutes ago and he was definitely right. The extra highlight has taken it from this:




To this:

It's subtle but it does have a little more pop to it. Not so much that it changes the overall look but just enough to give it a touch of "wow". 

I also thought I'd add my "how to" in here because I didn't in the last one!! I'm an awful blogger...

Ok so the silver was easy; Leadbelcher, Agrax Earthshade, Leadbelcher (I drybrushed because I'm lazy and it's quicker) and then an edge highlight on the glyphs on his chest, arms and hands with Runefang Steel.

The blue starts life out as Macragge Blue, then is edge highlighted with Sotek Green, Temple Guard Blue and the final highlight I added this morning was Baharroth Blue (my friend suggested mixing Temple Guard Blue with white but I took the easier route again!).

The orange is a base of Jokaero Orange, followed by Troll Slayer Orange, then Fire Dragon Bright and finally Lugganath Orange. If you do this yourself you'll get to this point and notice that the orange is looking decidedly lacklustre but fear not because we're not quite finished yet. Over the work we've just done we add a slight wash of Fuegan Orange. As you apply it, it does look like you've just undone all the work you've done but fear not because as it dries the highlights do come through, just a bit more intensely orange than before. 

The black bits were painted with Matt Black from The Army Painter (Abaddon Black is a bit on the glossy side for what I wanted to achieve but it's a perfectly fine paint), then highlighted in my new favourite black highlighting method; Skavenblight Dinge and Stormvermin Fur. It creates a darker highlight than the Eshin Grey/Dawnstone combo so it doesn't distract from the rest of the model (plus I wanted something different to my Black Legion which is highlighted that way). My next project that I may start at some point this week will be my Lychguard. I have a crap ton of Scarabs too but I want them crawling over stuff so I need terrain before I paint them.

1 comment:

  1. That's a test of a true painter. Going back to a finished model and adding something else to it. That always terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...